Ricker, Texas                    

 

 

 

Ricker (possibly also known as Steepe Creek or Stepp's Creek after a local stream) was a railroad station on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway six miles east of Brownwood in southeastern Brown County. Reportedly settled around 1877 by the T. D. Harris family, the community received a post office called Ricker in 1887 and by 1890 had a general store. The post office was closed in 1892 or 1893. In the mid-1930s the community had a few dwellings scattered near the railway station and was probably served by a school about a mile north on U.S. Highway 84. By the 1980s Ricker no longer appeared on highway maps, though a church called Stepps Creek was located a mile north of the site.

from the Handbook of Texas Online
1936 Map of Ricker from General Highway Map of Brown County, 1936 View map legend
Map of Ricker, USGS Survey