Fry, Texas                    

 

 

 

Fry was on a country road off Farm Road 585, west of Fry oilfield and fourteen miles northwest of Brownwood in western Brown County. In 1926 an oil well was drilled on J. H. Fry's property, and the community grew up when the field began to produce the following year. A post office was opened there in 1927, and by 1929 Fry had a population of 200. Oil production slowed in the 1930s as the field became depleted, and in 1941, when the community had a church, two businesses, and scattered dwellings, the population had fallen to 100. By 1949 it was forty, and by 1964 all that remained at the site was a cemetery.

from the Handbook of Texas Online

1936 Map of Fry from General Highway Map of Brown County, 1936 View map legend
 
Map of Fry, Texas