Bangs, Texas                    




Bangs is on U.S. highways 67 and 84 and the Santa Fe Railroad six miles west of Brownwood in west central Brown County. The town was named for its location in the Samuel Bangs survey. In 1886 a post office was established there, and in 1892 Bangs had eight businesses and a population of fifty. A school was begun that year. In 1900 the population was 136. By 1915, when the town incorporated, Bangs had 600 residents and twenty-one businesses, including four churches, a bank, and a weekly newspaper. The following year a water system was installed, and natural gas was piped into the community in 1920. The Bangs Independent School District, formed in 1927, eventually consolidated nine other school districts. Highway 67 was built through the town in 1932. After World War II several additions added new housing units to Bangs. Brownwood began supplying Bangs with filtered water in 1946. In 1963 a new high school was built, and passenger train service ended for the community in 1965. In 1973 Bangs became home to the controversial New Testament Holiness Church, led by David Heze Terrell, who also ran World Ministries, Incorporated, of Dallas. Bangs slowly grew to a population of 1,214 in 1970 and 1,716 in 1980, then declined to 1,555 inhabitants in 1990.from the Handbook of Texas Online


Front Street, Bangs early 1900s   click to enlarge    

Bangs Telephone Directory 1921
Historical Marker: First Baptist Church, Bangs
Bangs, Texas from Texas Escapes
Map of Bangs, Texas
1936 Map of Bangs from General Highway Map of Brown County, 1936 View map legend
Bangs Public Schools

The town of Bangs was established on the route of the Santa Fe Railroad, which deeded land to the city for a school. The first school building, a two-room frame structure on the south side of the railroad tracks, was completed in 1892. Miss Clemie King was the first teacher; enrollment totaled 35 pupils. A new 2-story stone structure, built on the north side of the tracks in 1903, replaced the first building. Over the years the school system has grown and built additional facilities. Nine other area schools have consolidated with the Bangs school system since its founding.

Historical Marker Text, 1992